A runners perspective


I hope this blog is of use/interest to walkers, runners and cyclists living in or intending to visit Scotland. Most of my entries below are described as long-distance runs - just because that's currently what I enjoy doing...

Saturday 24 June 2023

CW-LE: Pennine Way Leg Finished

Leaving the Silent Inn near Ponden, it was a mild sunny day and I felt very relaxed in spite of having nowhere booked for tonight, wild-camping most likely.
Kept a mellow pace as wild-camping means pitching late and leaving early.  Really enjoyed the ambling along over Withins Height and along by the reserviors towards Hebden Bridge, which the PW skirts around to the N and W.

Had a flawed plan of topping up my water and grabbing a meal and a pint at White House Inn, late, before finding a spot to camp.  Flawed because I arrived there at 2.30pm and it was shut until 5:30pm.  Luckily the door was open and they gave me water.  
Resumed the mellow plod over Blackstone Edge, and just before the M62 I met a mother and daughter doing the pennine way N and also planning to wild camp.  
Ended up being a large day (27 miles) before I finally sat down at 7.45pm to wait about a mile S of Standedge.  Was hard to get out of sight of farms etc but decided the Black Moss Reservior looked good once all the MTBers and dog walkers had gone.
Next day was cool and cloudy, but lovely.  

Short day to Crowden Campsite.  Their shop was shut so as it was so early decided to run down to Hadworth (about 4 miles) down Trans Pennine Trail, grab a beer and get something to cook tonight and fuel for tomorrow.
Unicorn Brewery Hopp best of the trip yet (so I had 2).  Enjoyed my run, my groceries survived but had kept it gentle as it had been weeks since I last run.  It felt good tho!
Rough night as selfish campers talking loudly till 1am, rest of the site had been quiet since 10.30 but I was unlucky to be next to them.  Then the morning was partly spent cleaning guano off my tent (why did they put me in the trees with the bat boxes!?).
Final PW day today was a rapid one over Bleaklow and Kinder Scout to Eadale.  Straight to the Nags Head (official end of the PW) for beer and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment