A runners perspective


I hope this blog is of use/interest to walkers, runners and cyclists living in or intending to visit Scotland. Most of my entries below are described as long-distance runs - just because that's currently what I enjoy doing...

Tuesday 20 June 2023

CW-LE: Half-way! Gargrave

Thunderstorms didn't strike, only got about 10 mins of rain as I crossed from Hawes to Horton-in-ribblesdale, clapping the leaders of the Summer Spine Race through.  Was so happy to see Chris at Holme Farm Campsite, last time I was there 7 years ago he was 89 years old and still jumping on his mower and tidying up the site.  "Aye, am now 96," he says, "still getting older each day."  Awesome.  "kept me prices the same too."
Local pub didn't open so a few of us jumped on train to Settle to get food & a pint.  Back by
7.30pm.  Never been to Settle before, looked nice, as was its station.
Next day was a long one, and very early start to dodge worst of weather.  Also missed out Pen-y-ghent from official Pennine Way route as I wasn't doing PW anyway (and been up there when I was!), made good progress over Fountains Fell, was pouring down by Malham Tarn and so once down to Malham I was keen to get coffee and cake.   Old Barn Tea Room provided that nicely!  
Then a short but soggy tramp down through wet fields of cows, by river and over a final rise (and more cows) to Gargrave, where I had a hotel room booked and was ready to celebrate reaching half-way with a 3 course meal and some NZ Sauv Blanc.  Feeling tired and in need of sleep now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment