A runners perspective


I hope this blog is of use/interest to walkers, runners and cyclists living in or intending to visit Scotland. Most of my entries below are described as long-distance runs - just because that's currently what I enjoy doing...

Saturday 15 July 2023

CW-LE: Ilfracombe

The above picture is Fore St., Ilfracombe.  Unplanned stop here - yellow wind warning wasn't joking, I've struggled the last couple of days!  Not so much physically but the driving rain squalls and battering by the wind has taken its toll - I lost my rucksack raincover on Foreland Point before dropping to the shelter of Lynmouth, at a run!  

The Soutb West Coast Path started dramatically and beautifully for me at least, I was delighted to reach this milestone - the start of the SWCP at Minehead.
Was buzzing with enthusiasm as I arrived at Porlock where I'd stay the night.
The storm hit the next day (Friday).and met office warning was in place into Saturday.  Fortunately most of my day was sheltered in trees and by the coastal topography.  But I made my stupid mistake at Foreland Pt, having not secured the raincover in spite of the warning gusts that I could barely stand in never mind walk.  Holding onto poles was hard enough!
Camped at the sheltered Heddon Valley campsite by Hunters Inn after 21miles, only one daft enough to be camping.
Next day was shorter (13.5miles), again the wind and rain made it tough (esp descending from the 318m Great Hangman, highest point on SWCP) but in between there were lovely spells of sunshine which I made the most of whilst sheltered at Coombe Martin - enjoying a sandwich overlooking the small beach.
Passed a campsite where a couple guys were in hysterics trying to abort camp - their tent was being contorted ridiculously by gusts, their wind break and barbeque still standing but unused.  I arrived safely if soggily at Ilfracombe 1pm after just 13.5miles - checked into room at 2pm and can rest up and be grateful I changed my plans!  Shorter day tomorrow but camping in rain again and the tent's groundsheet is no longer repelling the water beneath, sadly.  Fingers crossed the weather sorts its arse out.

No comments:

Post a Comment