A runners perspective


I hope this blog is of use/interest to walkers, runners and cyclists living in or intending to visit Scotland. Most of my entries below are described as long-distance runs - just because that's currently what I enjoy doing...

Monday 24 July 2023

CW-LE: Another weekend, another storm!

Overlooking Mawgan Porth, loving the colours.  That was yesterday (Sunday 23rd July) making my slow way to Newquay as the dregs of the storm flew by in the still-strong winds but man it was so much better than the day before's experience which had been a bitch.
The journey on from Bude started easily enough, a big day (21 miles - though having met Adam with his Strava the miles I'd measured on a map were conservative compared to miles actually logged).  The ups and downs grew larger but were fun.  I didnt expect a walk on the beach here (though that isn't easy either with a pack).  
I got down to the pretty (if not too pretty!) Boscastle feeling energised, grabbed a beer and supplies at a Nisa store, learned that my Scottish accent pronounced the names of some of the places here better than many English, and eventually climbed up to Little Clifden campsite, Halgabron, near the more famous Tintagel, pitched up and relaxed.
The next day the rain didnt stop, I got the tent packed early and continued South/West with rain already being driven into face but it would get a lot worse.  No photos today as there was no point and camping again so saving phone battery anyway.  The mudclaws had long become mudflats so the at times downs were as slow as the ups.  I overdid it this day as I was soaked through (gotetex pro? not anymore!) and trying to get it the unpleasantness over ASAP.  I cut corners where I could, was cheered up at Port Issac as it was such a lovely historic place but the girls serving coffee at Noah's were just so cheery and it was infectious, after more soggy miles I got another coffee at Polzeath to warm up as much as anything else - surfers didnt seem to care in their wetsuits, got real-life kudos for doing what I was doing (I lived in Australia long enough to know what "that's sick" meant - but any interpretation probably applies), and defo drew strength from the others out walking their dogs etc in the storm (yes, it was) even though I was now shivering and in dire need of shelter.  Another guy stopped me from walking into Rock and saved me a lot of time by explaining the ferry over to Padstow went from below where I stood at low tide - and there it was.  A couple were running across the sand with their baby in buggy to get the ferry and so I ran across the sand with oversized kitbag and got onto the ferry just in time (there were more running but the situation was dire).  Padstow was gorgeous even with the rain hammering it horizontally.  Went into a pub for another warming coffee then found Dennis Cove campsite, by nowI was visibly shivering.  The girl at recpeption asked where Id come from and when I answered she wanted me to just pitch up get warmed up and deal with payment later and asked whether or not I needed anything including a dry jumper!
The camp pitch was sheltered - awesome - but given the water was flowing upwards out from drains and forming rivulets down the streets of Padstow, understandably I was about to camp on grass that was submerged as soon as your foot (or tent) was placed on it.  Remarkably for me I stayed positive throughout this experience - other people gave me energy - enough to justify running back into town for a bottle of shiraz and some comfort food.  The tent's ground sheet is now worn and couldn't deal with it but my sleeping mat kept me and my sleeping bag safe and warm.
Good sleep was had.

Next day was an improving picture so the photos start again (when it was sunny). 
Legs were not happy with me, very little energy generally, I think I had pushed too hard and fortunately had planned a full rest day at Newquay where I am now and have 2 nights here.  Laundry done professionally (it was soaked and it all stunk of my socks), Cornish Pasty had, a short spell of better weather tomorrow forecast so I'm hoping to make the most of it and my rest, and put a decent day in tomorrow (further than originally planned) and enjoy whilst I can!  Because when the sun shines here (and you can see stuff) it is gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment