A runners perspective


I hope this blog is of use/interest to walkers, runners and cyclists living in or intending to visit Scotland. Most of my entries below are described as long-distance runs - just because that's currently what I enjoy doing...

Saturday 8 July 2023

CW-LE: Bristol

Continued on Offa's Dyke via Knighton (camped at Panpwnton farm campsite), Kington and Gladestry.  Incredible new views opening up to the East, South and West, including the Black Mountains that I'd be traversing the next day.   Camping for the night at Viv & Adrian's Offa's Dyke Lodge Retreat,  in the Welsh hamlet of Gladestry, where I also got fed!  Really good sleep in tent again.
The next day was special, visiting Hay on Wye, getting new hiking socks and coffee before heading up the side of Hay Bluff and along the Black Mountains ridge where it became cold and wet and I was wearing my beanie again for first time since North of my house in May!
Dropped down off the ridge to camp at Llanthony Priory - defo a highlight of my whole trip.  gorgeous wee cellar bar where I met Colin so was able to pay him for camping so I could get away early the next morning without hanging about.
Then it was on towards Monmouth, I camped at Hendre Orchard Campsite, another great low key site and great sleep.  Nothing much there tho so ended up running into Monmouth for food and drink.
Next morning I met up with Andy at Monmouth and we would spend the next 2 days walking together to his house in the centre of Bristol - a large walk in its own right! 
It was a tough day walking to Chepstow, not enough places to stop but when we finally did get a beer at the community-run Rising Sun pub N of Chepstow it transformed the walk from a route march to a leisurely amble once again!  Chepstow was impresive.  Castle, quaint streets, pubs, and The Coach and Horses pub was perfect place to stay for a good night's sleep after a few beers and meal in town.
The next day, walking to Bristol, ended up being 40km (25 miles) according to Andy's Strava.  Mostly because they'd shut our chosen route (bikepath route 4 and severn way).
We broke the long day down into strategic pub stops, it was 27degC so pint stops involved water & lager mostly.
Arriving in Bristol felt like a big achievement for both of us, and once at the harbour the strategic stops became more frequent and we eventually arrived at the house at 11.27pm after a very long distance pub crawl!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment